50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Running in "The Kirk"

I went running both today and yesterday after work.  I was anxious to test myself and see what exactly it would feel like to do some higher elevation running.  Yesterday I did 3.5 miles.  Today 5.  As expected, breathing was the challenge.  But, let's take it a step back.

I arrived in Albuquerque Sunday evening and felt fine.  I got to my hotel, had dinner, and went to bed.  No issues.  However, I got up Monday morning for work and didn't feel so hot.  I had a constant headache all day and felt a little dizzy.  I was obviously curious throughout my work day as to how it would be to go running.  So I hydrated and was cautious to take it easy on the green chili.  That stuff is everywhere and amazing, but perhaps not the best to fill your stomach on pre run.

Every breath on my evening run felt heavy in my chest.  It slowed me down to roughly an 8 minute mile.  Not bad.  I'm ok with that ... for now.  I kept it light at 3.5 but probably should have done less.  I didn't get any smarter this evening as I decided to go for 5.  But, today when I got up I did not have a headache.  Am I acclimating?  Probably too soon to tell.  But, I'm certain by this weekend I'll be feeling better.

As always, I'd like to aim for my 1:30.  I won't be upset if I don't make it.  I'd actually be happy if I can finish in 1:45.  I anticipate a much slower pace.  If I surprise myself, great.

After the race I'll be joining my good friend Doug and friends for a BBQ at his house.  I'm very excited for this as I tend to put on a spectacle of eating after every Half I do.  Sunday I'll be taking a drive North to Santa Fe where I'll be sure to post plenty of pics.  I hear it's very nice to visit.

That's it for now.  I'll touch base on race day.


No comments:

Post a Comment