50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Monday, November 26, 2012

Back-to-back running weekends

This past weekend was Thanksgiving weekend.  It involved the usual turkey and stuffing but was followed by a first for me with a post Thanksgiving charity run.

The concept was great.  A friend of my buddy Mike set up a virtual online team to benefit some of the charities providing relief to those impacted by Hurricane Sandy.  Friends and family were encouraged to donate.  However, this came with a twist.  If as a team they could raise over $5,000 by Thanksgiving, he would run a full marathon on the track of his former high school.  That's 105.5 laps!

For support, Mike and I joined him on the track on Friday.  By the end of the day, I ended up running nearly a Half with a total of 50 laps.  It was also a gorgeous day (see photo)

Oh, and the team ended up raising $17,379.


Mike and I (top two) running the track

As for this upcoming weekend, Maryland is up.  The Annapolis Half starts at 7:10 am on Saturday, so it's going to be an early morning to get there, park, and run my final Half of 2012.

If you've never been to Annapolis, it's great.  You can basically pull it out from the most important pages of American history.  It's where the Treaty of Paris was signed (officially ending the Revolutionary War), served as the nation's first state house, was where George Washington resigned, and the Naval Academy is located.  It's got a quaint downtown area and is located right on the Severn River.  I'm looking forward to taking some nice pictures.  

Carla will be joining me and I'll also be meeting up with my buddy Byron from work.  He lives in the neighborhood so I basically told him he's required to hang out post race.  A special guest appearance will be my niece Lexi (short for Alexandria).  She is currently in Annapolis attending the Naval Academy.  Yes, she's pretty awesome.  So part of the day's itinerary must include getting some time in with her.  I'm thinking after the race - per the usual - we'll all get some brunch so that'll be a good time for everyone to get together.

After Annapolis I won't be running another Half until February (New Orleans).  I decided to take January off to let the body rest a bit.  I think that's a good idea.  Stay tuned for pictures and details this Saturday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment