50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Sunday, March 17, 2013

South Carolina race day

In my blog post Friday night I mentioned that allergies were starting to take their grip on me with constant sneezing, coughing, and headache.  I mean I didn't feel sick when I woke up Friday morning so that had to be it.   Well, I was wrong.

It wasn't until I woke up Saturday morning for the race that I felt this was a bit more than allergies.  I had the muscle aches.  Anyone who's had a flu knows that feeling.  Everything hurts.  My back, arms, shoulders, everything.  On top of that I continued to have the sneeze, cough and headache.  This wasn't allergies.  It was a full blown flu.

But, as I snoozed my alarm and debated whether or not to skip this Half, I realized I had driven eight hours to be here.  There was no way I was going to skip.  I got out of bed, put on my running gear, and did my best to rally.

I got to the race start and immediately my headache worsened.  But, I got it going and by mile five I actually felt I could push through it.  Then I hit mile 10.  When I say those last three miles felt like they lasted forever, I mean it.  I was sneezing and aching and didn't really know what else to do but just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I did and finished in 1:54:32.

I'd say this may be among the most challenging races I've done to date because of this flu.  The course was nice.  A bit hilly but nothing out of this world.  But, to do one sick is definitely a new experience.

And now I look forward to North Carolina and Tennessee next month.



Runners gather at Shaver Recreation Complex for start


Sunrise over Seneca



Race start

No medals for this Half but a very cool coaster

No comments:

Post a Comment